Thursday, August 12, 2021

Visiting Nix package manager and Rocket

Nix, NixOS, Rust

An enthusiast gives it a spin+ 

I used to visit NixOS once a year; I did it every year from 2010-12 then stopped.  Things have progressed immensely but I don't have a home application for what NixOS does.  If you don't have need of a reliably reproducible system its like trying to drive a zamboni wrapped in plastic wrapAnd why it's not.  There's a live cd give it a whirl.

 How refreshing to discover Xe and her website.  Here's how she uses Nix (package manager) and NixOS:


 I have the configuration for my shell, emacs, my window manager and just about every program I use on a regular basis defined in their own NixOS modules so I can pick and choose things for new machines.

  Xe 


As an example of devotion to NixOS see the highly entertaining: ianthehenry.com

I am going to try to replicate Xe's example on the Windfall System.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment